Friday, 02 April 2010

I decided the other day that I won’t be in the lines on Saturday morning when the iPad becomes available at Apple stores and Best Buys around the country. Cory Doctorow also says he won’t buy one, but for different reasons. He goes so far as to say you shouldn't get one either. Interesting arguments. I’ve discussed before – here on this site - some of the reasons I think I want one, as well as some of the concerns I have about it, and in the end I do want to acquire one.

But, this Saturday’s event won’t be for me.

Why? I’m going to wait for the 3G-equipped model.

The more I think about it, the more I realize I need portability in the iPad if I am going to use it, meaning portability and network access across the boundaries and gaps of WiFi networks. I plan to use an iPad from the road, in the hangar, at any random place where I might land and want to check a weather report and email, that sort of thing. So, without an available-most-everywhere data service (a phrase that some, I know, will debate at length), it just won’t meet my needs.

So, I wait.

Anyone else waiting for the 3G models before buying? Too bad they’re not available on day-one. I’d grab my lawn line chair and head right down there if they were.

Update: A good New York Times article talks about perceptions, limitations and redundancy in the iPad. Interesting perspective.

Add/Read: Comments [1]
Apple | Mobile | Tech
Friday, 02 April 2010 09:32:42 (Pacific Standard Time, UTC-08:00)
#  Trackback

Referred by: [Referral] [Referral] [Referral] [Referral] [Referral] [Referral] [Referral] [Referral] [Referral] [Referral] [Referral] [Referral] [Referral] [Referral] [Referral] [Referral] [Referral] [Referral] [Referral] [Referral] [Referral]

Friday, 02 April 2010 09:41:50 (Pacific Standard Time, UTC-08:00)
I won't be buying one either but for different reasons than you. For me, the 3G access isn't important to me and is actually something I don't want because of the added monthly expense. Admittedly I have different scenarios than you since I'm not flying around the country in a plane :)

I'm not buying one because of the value I perceive I'm getting for $500. If it was $399 I would have likely pre-ordered. I fully expect it to either get cheaper this year, and v2 of the iPad to have many more capabilities that will give me more bang for the buck.

So, like you, I wait.
Comments are closed.